Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Measure of Renown for a Produsage Participatory User

In regards to the previous five blogs I have written, I couldn’t help but notice that no one has actually commented on my blogs. Keep in mind that I am not completely depressed or anything, but I am curious and perhaps doubtful that my user-led content is not good enough. I questioned as to how can I become important (like Axel Bruns maybe?) by distributing my own content. After all, blogging is based on the Produsage concept; and I would like to provide my personal assumptions as how to become a well-renowned Produsage participatory user.

Let me just lightly address that in my prior blogs I have explained that Produsage ranges in various key domains including social networking, citizen journalism, knowledge bases and my personal favourite, online gaming.

So how come I have not been commented on? I would like to point out that in my previous blogs, only a couple have been carefully tagged. In order for my blogs to be ‘googled’, they must be tagged to be locatable in an online environment. Secondly, I as well generally believe that Produsage isn’t entirely well-known to a large amount of people just yet, it will be eventually, but it adds to the odds in which people will read and locate my blogs. Therefore, two goals must be achieved for content to be more excessively engaged with participatory users, firstly, they must be carefully tagged and that the subject must appeal to a significant amount of users. Written in a article I read earlier concerning long tail material is There’s no money in the long tail of the Blogosphere which explains a vast amount of blogs have few readers with no traffic at all.. Another point I would like to address draws from Brun’s book “Blogs, Wikipedia, Second Life, and Beyond: From Production to Produsage” in which he states (2008, 75) that given a sufficiently large and diverse group of contributors within the online community, only then will user-led content be actively engaged continually.

Another valid point I would like to address in regards to become renowned of your user-led content is to primarily focus on the quality you provide. How relevant and useable could it be for other people? Drawn once again from another of Brun’s in Produsage: Key Principles is the underlying fact that in order to gain social capital, it depends primarily on the freely accessible content you distribute.

Truth be told, there are various other ways to have your own content become actively engaged with a large amount of users. Social networking websites such as myspace or facebook gain popularity on profiles by the possible amount of friends you may have, or by how good looking you are in your personal photos (quality of user-led content). What ever the reason, please be aware that it is a possibility for anyone to become a ‘celebrity’ or ‘expert’, just keep trying and use my teachings wisely.

1 comment:

Noir said...

Hey there choclitbear!
In regurads to having no comments on your blogs I know exactly what you mean. I myself maintain a blog and have yet to receive any comments, however, there may be a number of reasons why this is so:

Firstly it is true that a blog’s quality and subject matter largely dictates its popularity but we also must remember that a blog is not a push medium, such as TV. This ensures small niche audiences will find what they want to find, but you yourself commented upon this in your observation of the vagueness surrounding produsage as a term ☺

Secondly, in Henry Jenkin’s book Convergence Culture (2006), he observers that the development of a participatory culture obviously relies on active user participation. Maybe the tumbleweeds rolling across our comment boxes are due to browser’s inability to participate in social produsage software due to lack of skills.

I believe you should check out Seth Godin’s blog The New Digital Divide concerning a possible second digital divide. It deals with the increasing division between passive and active internet users. Rest assured, we may have no comments (well you will now!) but at least we are apart of the Digerati! (you’ll understand after you check the blog out)